The Tintic Standard Mining Company was established by Emil J. Raddatz in October of 1907. The Tintic Standard Reduction Mill was built by the Tintic Mining Company in 1921 at a cost of $580,000 so that they could process their ore. Silver, copper, lead and gold were processed at the plant. The mill was designed and built by W.C. Madge with input from Theodore P. Holt and George C. Dern.
The smelting process employed by the plant was an acid based process known as the “Augustin Process" which was obsolete before the plant opened, so the life of the mill was short. Only able to process approximately half the ore that was brought from the mine per day, the mining company eventually sent their ore to a third party smelter for processing. The mill closed in 1925, less than five years after becoming operational.
Time has reduced the mill to a ruin. Some of the structures have completely collapsed and what remains standing is slowly crumbling. Most of the concrete surfaces are spalled from the oxidizing rebar and freeze thaw cycles of the Utah climate. Any relatively smooth surface that remains is covered in graffiti.
The graffiti continues to change with each summer season. The photo of the building at bottom is what originally encased all this concrete. More color will be added in 2019.
TINTIC REDUCTION MILL, GENOLA, UTAH